Following Efma’s recent signing of a partnership with epiphanic to collaborate on Efma’s FinTechVisor portal, David Khassidov, founder of the Austrian-based innovation agency, shared the story behind the company’s development. Khassidov also revealed the key startups it is collaborating with and the latest news on its upcoming FINTECHMATTERS event.
Can you tell us about epiphanic?
epiphanic GmbH is a Vienna-based, international operating innovation and matchmaking agency. We focus on the financial services industry and beyond. We see ourselves as enablers providing fundraising and business development support to selected startups on an international scale. From time to time, we also invest in promising ventures. Due to the nature of our activities, we are constantly screening markets and scouting out innovative solutions.
Furthermore, we support investors, corporate clients and startups to make their business cases a success. With our unique event format called FINTECHMATTERS we organize business-focused summits for our partners and network members by connecting innovative companies with business partners and investors.
I founded the company in 2015. Since then we have built a vast network of experts and investors all over Europe and organized workshops, investment-ready programs and supported international startups to grow. That same year, I co-founded primeCROWD GmbH, which has become Austria's biggest Business Angel Network, now expanding to Germany. In 2017, I co-initiated the FinTechWeekVienna, which takes place annually in late November, and in 2018, epiphanic invested in handcheque GmbH, a smart payment card including a touch screen and connectivity with your smartphone. That year, I also joined handcheque’s Board of Advisors as an Observer.
Could you present the fintech startups that you are working with?
Some of the companies we are working with include:
- Uhura Solutions, a London-based creator of an AI platform that speeds up review and decision-making processes for financial institutions by reading and understanding contracts and agreements just as humans do.
- OmegaLambdaTec, a Munich-based startup that offers advanced data analysis solutions to companies, (smart) cities, organizations and institutions with lots of data but not sufficient expertise to fully exploit its potential.
- primeCROWD, an exclusive startup investor network present across both Germany and Austria, focused on fintechs, clean techs, health techs, IT & software, big data and social impact.
- handcheque, a provider of state-of-the-art payment solutions and offline wallets for clients seeking to understand their customers, strengthen their market position and brand awareness, and gain brand loyalty.
- transpaygo, a Vienna-based startup dedicated to providing SMEs with a fast, simple and trusted money transfer solution.
- Quantfol.io, a fintech company based in Bergen that is delivering “AI-in-a-box” components for banks and wealth managers with a digital presence, through open APIs and machine learning algorithms.
Could you tell me more about FINTECHMATTERS and what makes this event unique?
FINTECHMATTERS is an international Fintech Innovation Summit focused on initiating and building meaningful relationships between the people who are driving innovation in the financial services industry, including fintechs, financial institutions, investors and experts.
By establishing personal long-lasting relationships, we are building an upscale network where all participants and members are business-driven individuals and organizations on an equal level. All of them actively offer or scout innovative market-ready solutions and sustainable partnerships. The international orientation and the personal approach make FINTECHMATTERS a unique format within the European fintech industry.
An example of our support for the local ecosystem is the co-initiation (together with FINTECH Austria, the Vienna Business Agency and the Austrian Banker's Union) of the FinTechWeekVienna in 2017, which is bringing together the essence of the Fintech ecosystem in Austria and beyond.
What makes FINTECHMATTERS unique? First of all, during the event we focus on fintechs, innovative solutions and use cases applicable in the real business environment. We support and admire collaborative approaches. Logistically, it takes place in the center of Europe and is small, on purpose – approximately 300 people will attend this year – in order to maintain the best networking opportunities and personal connections. In addition, we only invite experts, therefore everyone can speak on the same level. This includes ecosystem organizations, fintech founders, relevant executives of financial institutions, regulators and investors.
What's coming next for epiphanic?
epiphanic will proceed to invest in and to support tech startup companies all across Europe on a higher scale. At the moment we are discussing partnerships with several international organizations to join forces.